Friday, June 17, 2016

M&T - Dam Run Thing!

For our weekly game of Muskets & Tomahawks, Matt, Steve B. ("British"), Steve P. ("Indians") and I got together for a 400 point game. Matt, after watching a documentary about beavers, had a very interesting idea for terrain. What if an important hamlet, located in a valley, became flooded after a beaver dam broke and flooded? I guess we shall find out.

I took the exact same list as last week: 10 Scots, a Scottish Lieutenant, 6 Indians and 9 Militia. British Steve took 2 units of Rangers, a Ranger Lieutenant and a unit of Virginia Provincials.

Opposing us were about 45 Indians, because the French were too busy eating and making love with their faces to show up.

After rolling for missions, side plots and weather the game was ready. The Anglo force had engagement and needed to kill 2/3 of the Indians, while the Indians had raid and needed to burn 4 buildings. Three of which were clustered together near our board edge, and the other was near their board edge.

The Ranger Lieutenant's side plot was Capture - he had to kill an enemy in melee, thus capturing him, and leave the table with his prisoner. The Scot Lieutenant, Campbell, had Emotive- the English morale card could not be played, else he failed.

Indian Steve's Sachem, Chief "Hides- Behind Rock" was a Spy- he could not be in the Anglo's sight at the end of the game. Matt's Sachem, Three Feathers, was a Usurper - he could not be within 4" of this own troops at any time. Untrustworthy folks, these natives!

General Webb,

The Hamlet was flooded! Flotsam and Jetsam was here, there and everywhere. Barrels of tea and 'bacco, trees, fences, logs, and even small trading vessels ended up where they should not be! This would take days to clean up. The roads, or rather, where the roads once were, had 6-8 inches of water making walking very difficult especially for the regular chaps.

The target houses were the two cabins and barn in the foreground and the third cabin, top left

The scouts were sent forward along the northern ridge to determine the cause of the flooding. It seems that the beaver lodge about two miles upstream had broken in the night due to the strong winds and thunderstorms. They also reported signs of a large Huron war party. The men were ready in case the savages showed their faces.

The regulars moved along what once was the road. It was slow going due to the mud and water, making them go about half as fast as normal. Many men had to stop and pull their shoes out of the muck. The friendly Indians and local Militia were fortunate enough to find some sturdier ground and began to move up-hill.  

There they were! The scouts were right! The Huron came screaming through the wood line. The war party was stretched wholly along the front. They were painted red and black- an intimidating sight!


The Indians quickly sought the cover of a fallen tree, while the Militia broke to the right and made quick time once they hit solid ground.

*crack crack* The Huron on the ridge and Iroquois in cover began trading shots, but the Iroquois kept their calm and killed two Huron outright. The rest of the cowards fled without further fight.


After struggling up the muddy and slick hill, the Militia reached the crest only to take shots from the trees. Meanwhile, off on the left flank the war party managed to put the first cabin alight. The Virginians and Rangers moved forward to a stone wall and opened fire on the rushing Huron.

In the center, yet more savages were screaming toward the line from the ridge and over hillocks. The Scots would not give up these other three building without a fight. They were ready, come hell or high water. Or more dam water.


"Make Ready!" The pipes began to hum. "Alba gu Bràth!" There were savages in the open. They were blood thirsty, ignoring cover. Whatever it was in this village they wanted, they wanted dearly.


When the powder smoke cleared, the target Indians were gone, leaving their dead wallowing in the water. They quickly bled out.

While it seemed things were going well, the left flank was crumbling. The Indians had made it to the second cabin, putting their fire to it. The Virginians were in flight. A Ranger unit was dead and being scalped and the other Rangers were holding fast, but could not reload quick enough.


The Militia leveled their muskets, ready to take some pressure off the Iroquois downhill from them. If anything, they would at least distract the Huron for a moment. But before they could cock their locks, the savages sprinted TOWARD them! Three Feathers ordered them forward to close the gap and, hopefully, get them into melee. The Militia only had one shot- literally and figuratively- to stop these savages.

Fortune, God, Luck, whoever, was on the Militia's side. After killing three at point blank range, the rest fled. Though this war party seemed determined at the beginning, they could not stand once powder was burned. It is noteworthy that the first Anglo casualty of the day was suffered on this hill. A militiaman fell after being shot in the chest. He died gallantly and quickly.

The Indians were dug in nicely in the fallen tree and were killing plenty of Huron as they scrambled around the second cabin and hedges in front of it. The Huron would dash out and then fall back, as if they could not decide what to do, and the Iroquois took advantage of that!

Things on the right were looking fine, with only one casualty suffered. But then reports from the left came. War cries, musket shots, men in agony.

The Huron had turned the flank! Killing, axing and scalping the Virginians. Half the Rangers were dead. If the last six broke, the Huron would have a chance to attack the flank of the Scots.

A tomahawk swing was parried by a musket. War clubs thumped into skulls sending a crimson mist through the air. Hunting knives tore at cloth and flesh. The screams of the Rangers broke though the din of pistols and the few loaded muskets reports. *WHOOO* A blonde scalp was ripped from the skull of a ranger. *thwack* The tomahawk spike imbedded into the erstwhile scalper's spine.

The Rangers had held! Huzzah!! Praise be! The ten or so savages who survived were in full flight! Once the noise had subsided a cool breeze blew in, cooling down the overheated men who were sipping at their canteens. Flasks of brandy were passed around- Officer, sergeants and private soldiers all enjoyed a nip. To those who survived!

Damn this dam.

- Lieutenant Colin Campbell


The above picture illustrates the disparity of Matt's and my casualties. I only lost one man. The Steve's on the other hand had lost the majority of each of their forces. But, because we inflicted well over 2/3 casualties and they did not burn all four buildings (only 1.5) and we did not have our morale card in play, it was a major Albion Triumph! A little comeuppance for the absolute slaughter the Scots received last week.

I really enjoyed Matt's terrain idea. It only really affected my regulars in firing line. The rest took the high ground or ignored the difficult terrain. I will update with more pictures if I get them from the Steves.

No comments:

Post a Comment