Friday, July 17, 2015

Cross the Bober!

As a I previously mentioned, we are running a campaign of sorts revolving around Leipzig. The following Battle was the first, and found the Allies pushing from two flanks in the attempt to cross the Bober River at two points. Jason and I teamed up against Chris, Dave, visiting from Switzerland, and Casey.

These pictures were taken on my phone. My Fiancée has since purchased a very nice digital camera, which I have been using to take pictures of the battled (I am sure that is why she really bought it). So, please forgive the quality of some of the pictures.

The French had positions on both bridge heads and at a ford where the Prussians hoped to cross. To represent the "Marie Louises", Chris, Dave and Casey had to test to see how the battalion would react upon its first contact with the enemy. I forget the actual rule in Black Powder.





These gallant Frenchmen blocked the bridge with gabions 


I moved my brigade in via the road, directly at the enemy. The East Prussian Musketeers led the way followed by their grenadier battalion. I thought I would quickly break through and be in the town in time for lunch. But I discounted the bonus that infantry get in a "fortification", plus a column only has one attack. In retrospect, I should have used all of my cannons to blast a hole in the weak French line.



Meanwhile, Comrade Jason's Russians advanced toward a hamlet guarded by French Dragoons. They made quick work of the cavalry a' pied and he must have been thinking of making reservations with me at the local tavern.


The French facing Jason

My dragoons met yet more dragoons at the ford to the right of the bridge. The Leibhusaren were in support ready to ride down the spur and kill all who stood against the Prussian masses.



Marschall von Blücher watches as the French hold, and hold, and still hold; crushing each brigade that comes across the bridge, now slick with their brethren's blood. Men and horse flailing into the Bober like offal at a butcher's shop. Sorry, I was summoning my inner Bernard Cornwell.


Finally, after way too many turns stuck at the bridge, my cavalry broke though at the ford and made their way on a flank attack toward the bridge. Unfortunately for th Allies more French cavalry and about 10 reserve battalions of infantry (not pictured) were marching hell for leather down the road.


It was at this point that Jason and I conceded, vowing to give payback another day.

As I mentioned, our downfall was not using our artillery to our advantage. If I remember correctly, Jason finally did break the bridge defenders, but only after hammering them with cannon and howitzers, the latter of which I did not have any. We planned our next battle for two weeks from that day. A French Counterattack!


1 comment:

  1. Excellent looking battle with so many wonderful figures.

    ReplyDelete