Monday, May 23, 2016

Muskets & Tomahawks - Toying with Terrain

Matt and I have been playing Muskets & Tomahawks on a rather frequent basis. For the most part we have been doing standard Raids, Protection, Scouting Mission and Defense missions. However, with the addition of some new terrain, we decided to veer away a bit and come up with some home brewed scenarios.

Neither of us took enough pictures for a proper battle report, but they will come. But we did come up with what we thought were two nice looking table yesterday.

The first was a homestead, which was fortunate enough to be protected by a block house. Matt's mission was to burn the cabins, which he did successfully, while I had to scout the four quarters, which I also did successfully. The game ended up being a minor victory for me, since we both failed our side plots and I routed Matt's force before he could scalp enough Redcoats.









The second game we played was a lot more organic as far as the table top. With the only manmade item on the board being a dilapidated boat in the middle. This marks the first time that we did not use the M&T book recommended way of setting up terrain, but used out noggins instead.

On Friday, Ashley and I went for a hike, during which I made mental notes of the terrain. We decided to fight in a gully. Unfortunately the night prior in our universe had a terrible thunderstorm, which flooded the gully and knocked over numerous trees. the rocks are from my real life hike.

My Virginian Provincials were being led by a traitor, who ostensibly was out on a cartography mission in Western PA, but he had nefarious thoughts indeed. So rules wise, Matt had command of him. However, his officer had gone mad and whoever rolled higher controlled his officer every activation. His Sachem did a lot of milling around and walking in circles.







The fallen trees and river rocks provided great cover for the Iroquois and Huron, but slowed down the Virginians (not pictured) to a crawl.






Hawkeye led some colonial militia on my left flank. Oddly enough we both had a scouting mission. Matt quickly explored all four quarters, but could not withstand my musketry and broke on turn 4.







Hard to see, but my unpainted Virginians unleashed a massive volley on Matt's Indians and did 4 casualties right off the bat. His Huron fled right away.






By turn two our natives were in melee and my Provincials and Militia were chasing down Matt's other natives. However, we got a random event that forced our officers to march toward each other and fight a duel, which Matt won.

Perhaps the traitor finally lost his cool and knew the mad Sachem would somehow ruin his treacherous plans and reveal his true nature to the other Virginians? But the dastardly Major met his fate at the end of a Tomahawk.




The game ended when Matt's force broke on a morale card. I accepted a minor victory, having scouted the four quarters, but not getting my men off the table.

Overall, two great games. I will try to document our games a bit better in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment